The tradition of the VDP-winery Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch, managed by Sofia and Christina Thanisch, goes back to the year 1636 and covers twelve generations.
Almost 200 years ago (around 1830), the historian Christian von Stramberg wrote in his book ‘The Mosel Valley between Zell and Konz’:
“Mr Thanisch produces very noble wines and is the largest property owner in the region.”
We are talking about Johann Anton Thanisch, the great-great-great-grandfather of the current winery owner.
The winery achieved fame at the end of the 19th century, when our wines could be found on the wine lists of the most famous hotels and restaurants in the world, and were served in royale households.
At VDP auctions, Wwe. Dr. Thanisch wines regularly had the highest prices.
The “Villa Thanisch”, was built in 1884 and is still the seat of the winery today.
“We are committed to our tradition and quality orientation.”
The first mention of our family´s name as winery owners was 385 years ago, when Franz Taners and his wife Apollonia had their son Helias baptised. Franz Taners was listed as a winegrower in a tax list from 1654 with a fortune of 776 Reichstalers and a wine harvest of 3 fuder barrels per year.
Today, our “Thanisch VDP” winery is run as a family business in the twelfth generation. Our vineyards are located in Bernkastel, Kues, Lieser and Brauneberg and are exclusively planted with Riesling. Probably the most famous vineyard is the “Berncasteler Doctor”. Parcels of which have belonged to us for more than 200 years or seven generations. So are the majority of our other vineyards.
In 1910 our winery was one of the founding member of the VDP (Association of Germany’s finest wineries).